Sunday 25 September 2011

A more promising morning.

Sunday 25th September 2011 7.45 - 10.30am
Light southerly breeze, cool, dry and overcast.

I arrived this morning at Chambers Wall car park to the sound of a singing Cetti's and a few Chiffchaffs calling. It was quite cool, and just a gentle breeze, and as I set off towards the railway line there were Chiffchaffs feeding actively in the small vegetation next to the path. It's amazing to see these newly arrived migrants so close up, and in such large numbers again today.

I caught sight of a flash of an orange tail, a Redstart disappearing into a bush. I waited a while but couldnt see it again. I walked west up the embankment with Marc Heath, noting more Chiffchaffs and a Blackcap, plus a lot of Blue Tits.

Marc carried on towards Reculver, and I returned east along the embankment, and a few minutes later he rang to say he was watching a Short-eared Owl. I managed a couple of distant photos of this cracking bird.

Short-eared Owl

I heard a few flocks of Siskins fly west as i continued back to Chambers Wall, counting 21 in total, and 2 Ring-necked Parakeets flew west. A flock of Long-tailed Tits made their way south down the hedge, carrying with them were loads of Chiffchaffs and a Blackcap. Long-tailed Tit flocks are always worth a look through, just in case something good is with them.

Blackcap

There were 2 Great Spotted Woodpeckers near the car park, and I relocated the Redstart, though getting close enough for a photo was much harder.

Redstart

I heard a 'chiff chiff chiff' and looked up to see a smallish dark wader with a white rump flying north, presumably a Wood Sandpiper, although it is a rather late date.

Driving away I had a Sparrowhawk low over a hedge and a female Marsh Harrier over the felds hunting. A really enjoyable morning's birding.

1 comment:

  1. Nice account Derek. Glad you got the Short eared Owl and even managed a Redstart shot, nice one.

    ReplyDelete