Sunday 18 September 2011

Flycatcher in the garden

Sunday 18th September 2011
Light west (F2) winds, sunny, cold, dry.

I was loading the car up this morning around 7.30am and as usual there were Chiffs calling from the trees, and Blue Tits, Great Tits and a party of Long-tailed Tits. Then an interesting bird caught my eye, so I grabbed the bins out the car and watched as a Spotted Flycatcher was flitting around. Torn between heading to the coast, and staying to watch the flycatcher, I decided as the sun was out it was a great chance for a photo.

Spotted Flycatcher

I headed over to Shuart, where again there were many Chiffchaffs. I counted around 35, as well as a few Blackcaps, 3 Ring-necked Parakeets and 2 Kestrels. I then walked over to Netherhale, counting over 40 Chiffchaffs, 4 Blackcaps, 3 Buzzards drifting south, 1 Marsh Harrier and a Sparrowhawk.

There were plenty Migrant Hawkers and Common Darters on the wing, as well as Large and Small Whites, Comma, Peacock and Red Admirals, and a Painted Lady, one of the few i've seen this year.

Painted Lady

Back at home there are still Chiffchaffs in and out the garden, as well as a few Goldcrests calling.

1 comment:

  1. Great garden bird Derek, not long before the Yellow browed's and Pallas's arrive.

    ReplyDelete