Sunday 2 October 2011

Something to rave about!

Sunday 2nd October 2011
After a chilly start becoming hot (28C), dry, clear and very sunny.

I started this morning at Chambers Wall just before 7 o'clock, the light just about ok to see a few birds flitting about. After lingering around the car park listening for warblers I walked slowly up towards the railway crossing. There were a few Chiffchaffs and a couple of Goldcrests along the hedge, as well as the regular Chaffinches, and in the field east of the hedge were 9 Grey Partridges.

Just the other side of the crossing along the path to Coldharbour were quite a few Blackcaps and a smart Lesser Whitethroat. Just as I was thinking of turning back to the embankment to check the bushes I had a call from Marc Heath to say an Osprey was sitting on a post at Coldharbour. I made my way quickly up to the seafront and sure enough, there was an Osprey sitting on a breakwater post just below the rasied shingle ridge. I took a couple of photos from distance, just in case it flew, then walked up to join Marc. Before I could attempt any better shots, it was off, but luckily for others it landed in the Oyster Farm, where it seemed quite settled.


Osprey in flight

While enjoying the Osprey with a few other birders, I heard a deep 'cronk cronk', and looking round a Raven was flying south along the Green Wall, not only a new bird for Reculver for me, but the first I've seen in Kent. Marc also spotted a Little Tern offshore flying east.

My walk back was against the bright sun, making viewing difficult, but along the embankment I managed to find more Chiffchaffs, Blackcaps and another Lesser Whitethroat, as well as many small flocks of Siskins flying west, along with 4 Redpolls.

A text from Chris Hindle had me rushing over to Bishopstone where a Yellow-browed Warbler had been seen and heard, but although I gave it half an hour I couldn't relocate it. I went to Shuart for another walk but the heat was intense and very few birds were calling, so I gave up around midday and went home.

Todays totals:
1 Marsh Harrier, 3 Kestrels, 9 Grey Partridge, 12 Chiffchaffs, 11 Blackcaps, 2 Lesser Whitethroats, 2 Cetti's, 1 Reed Warbler, 2 Goldcrests, 4 Snipe west, 1 Raven, 1 Little Tern, 126 Siskins west, 4 Redpolls west, 95 Skylarks west, 400 Starlings west, 20+ Blackbirds and 2 Song Thrushes, plus the usual selection of local birds.

No comments:

Post a Comment