Wednesday 2 May 2012

Waders and Warblers

1st May 2012
Mild (12C), dry, becoming bright and warm. Easterly breeze.

After some early morning rain, I made my way to Chambers Wall about 7am. The day started really well, with a Yellow Wagtail over the car park, and a male Redstart in the hedge by the car.

Walking north to the railway I added numerous Sedges, Whitethroats and 2 Lesser Whitethroats, plus Blackcap, and Chiffchaff. I wandered up to Coldharbour, and just as I reached the lagoon I could see 2 Avocets in the water. They didn't stay long, which is not unusual for waders in the lagoon itself, but I grabbed the camera as they flew off.


There were also 3 Common Sandpipers in Coldharbour, and as I walked east I had 2 Whimbrel, a Barwit and a Greenshank fly over. There were 4 Reed Warblers singing along the dykes, and 5 Wheatears scattered along the beach. A Bonxie flew just offshore, upsetting the gulls, before landing on the beach at Coldharbour.

1 Gannet flew east, and 8 Sanderling dropped down on the shore, there was a lone Grey Plover and 2 Sandwich Terns on a post at Plumpudding.



I headed inland at the stables, following the embankment slowly back to Chambers Wall. A came across the wonderful sight and sound of a pair of displaying Lapwings near the Wade crossing. As the day warmed up there were quite a few Swallows around, and I counted 17 Yellow Wagtails. I met Tim at the crossing, and we remarked how warm it was now the sun was out, and there were large numbers of flying insects about. I became aware of a growing flock of Swifts, numbers reaching at least 35 birds.

All in all, it felt quite spring-like at last.

No comments:

Post a Comment