Monday 21 May 2012

May struggles on

Saturday 19th May 2012.
Calm, mild, overcast with a bit of sunshine.

I had to work Saturday morning, but just as I left home I had a text from Marc to say he had found a spring pumaged Curlew Sandpiper at Coldharbour, so after lunch I headed over to Chambers Wall and took a walk up to the coast. I was struck by how quiet it was, with only a few Reed and Sedge Warblers singing, and a few of the resident birds breaking into song occasionally. There were a few Yellow Wagtails, a Turtle Dove and a Cuckoo, plus a male Marsh Harrier drifting along the dykes.

After a bit of searching I eventually found the Curle Sand, tucked away in the grass. A little later it emerged and started feeding along the muddy bank, rather distantly from the sea wall.


Sunday was very different weather, with a strong north east wind blowing, a heavey showers first thing. I had a short seawatch from the towers from 6am til about 7.30, but all i managed were a few Common Terns, 1 gannet and a large auk flying east.

I drove round to Shuart and as I opened the door I could hear a Golden Oriole sing from the trees just behind me, above the horse paddock. After texting a few friends I poured a coffee and stood listening to it for a couple of minutes, then I took a walk east towards Brooksend.

At waterdrill there was a Cuckoo, a Turtle Dove and a Spotted Flycatcher, as well as a family of Long-tailed Tits, and the common warblers in song. Further east there was a male Cuckoo sat on a telegraph wire.



A pair of Grey Partridges were sitting out in a field, and there were several Red-legged Partridges scurrying along the paths.



This morning (Monday 21st May) I had a couple of hours early morning at Shuart, but it was very quiet. Again, the weather isn't helping, with a strong, cold northerly wind blowing across the marsh.

No comments:

Post a Comment