Thursday 24 May 2012

Common Blue enjoying the sun

Wednesday 23rd May 2012
Light winds, sunny, warm (23C)

This afternoon I took a trip up to Shuart to look for Large Red Damselfly, a rare sighting in the Reculver area. Julian Perry had seen one (or more) at a small dyke and told me where to look, but despite a thorough search in sunny and calm conditions, I failed to locate any. I did manage to see Hairy Dragonfly and Blue-tailed Damselfly.

Next I took a walk around East Blean Woods in the hope of an early sighting of Heath Fritillary, but again I failed to see any. I suspect I am a week or so early for them, but it was such a nice day I thought it worth a try.

I took a look over at Brook, where I finally had a bit of success. Not only were there Hairy Dragonflies and Blue-tailed Damselflies, but my first Common Blue Damselflies of the year, and lots of them, which was really nice to see.




Back at home the Large Reds were drifting around the garden pond on the warm air.

No comments:

Post a Comment