Sunday 7 August 2011

Willow Emeralds

I had a text from Marc Heath on my way to Reculver this morning to tell me there were a few terns moving through past the towers, so I headed straight there, but by the time I got out the car it had quietened down. I went up to the towers and sat on the side of the cliff in the sunshine with the towers behind me sheltering from the south westerlt wind. I could see quite large numbers of terns a long way off, but too far to guess what they were. A Peregrine flew west towards the Swale, and a juv Med Gull flew west close by. I gave it an hour, and just as I walked back to the car a Hobby flew in off the sea and carried south.

I took a trip over to Marshside, just the other side of the Thanet Way, and had a slow walk along the road finding quite a few Willow Emerald Damselflies along the hedgerow. They have obviously colonised along Marshside, and i'm hoping they will be around the Chambers Wall area as well, where they were first seen in Kent just last summer.



I took a walk to Brook but there was little around apart from a few Yellow Wagtails, a couple of Willow Warblers and a Sparrowhawk.

A quick walk at Thornden Woods was quiet as well, apart from numerous Gatekeepers. I was at a barbeque this afternoon in a lovely garden in Ringwold, and I was kept entertained by one of my favourite dragonflies, a superb Southern Hawker.

No comments:

Post a Comment