Friday 26 August 2011

A wet start

Friday 26th August
Stiff ENE breeze, rather wet, mild.

I headed off this morning to Chambers Wall hoping to find a few migrants grounded by the poor weather, but as I headed off from the car I wondered whether I should have contemplated a sea-watch from the towers as the wind was so strong. I saw a Peregrine hunting Woodpidgeons, and a lovely male Marsh Harrier on the walk up to Cold Harbour, then I sat on the beach sheltered by a breakwater and stared out to sea. I was surprised to see very little fly by, just a couple of Knot, 2 Whimbrel and a single Arctic Skua, plus a few Sandwich Terns.

I was joined by Chris and Matt Hindle on the beach for half an hour, and after a bit of a social we moved on, my time up I walked back to the car.

There were a lot more birds on my walk back, and along the hedge near the car park were 6 Blackcaps, 3 Willow Warblers, 2 Reed Warblers, 2 rather soggy looking Turtle Doves, and a Kingfisher flying up and down the Wantsum.


Turtle Dove

No comments:

Post a Comment