Saturday 20 August 2011

Another quiet morning

Saturday 20th August

I arrived at Chambers Wall at 6:30am this morning, hoping for a few migrants. I have been reading notes from the last couple of years for around this date, and loads of good birds were seen, so as always I expect it to be the same again this year, but we all know it's never quite as easy to predict. And so it was today, and I very quickly realised there wasn't much about.

On a good day I will see a Whinchat or other birds sitting on bushes on the drive up to the car park. Today there wasn't a bird to be seen. On my walk up to the railway I saw little, just a Blackcap and a Willow Warbler. I walked west to the Green Wall, counting around 60 Golden Plovers in a stubble field, and quite a few Whitethroats, I guess around 35 or so. There were 13 Little Egrets near the oyster farm, and walking back toward the Chambers Wall crossing there were 2 Sparrowhawks.

I met Marc Heath and Phil Parker, and we walked slowly back to the car park. There was a distant juv Marsh Harrier, a Corn Bunting flew west and there were 2 lovely Willow Warblers in bushes in the car park.
Willow Warbler

I left the others and drove to Shuart. On route i saw 5 Mistle Thrushes on a telegraph wire at Potten Street.

At Shuart there were 2 Peregrines together, plus a Sparrowhawk and a Common Buzzard. Numbers of Common Darters are low this year, but a few were sunning themselves on the path, plus a few Speckled Woods.

Common Darter

No comments:

Post a Comment