Sunday 30 October 2011

Autumn easing off

Saturday 29th October
Light S/W breeze, mild, dry, overcast

With autumn drawing to a close I decided to have almost a final-fling at finding something good, and with scarce birds turning up all over the country I set off quite excited today. For a bit of variety I went to Shuart around 7.30am, just before daylight, and set off towards the coast. I could hear Goldcrests in the trees straight away, and they were to be heard in the bushes throughout my walk. If I could have counted accurately i'm sure I would have had a big total. Also quite a few Redwings knocking about, though they are so wary it's not easy to get a photo.

It was really a bit quiet and the early promise seemed to disappear when I realised there weren't that many birds around. There were a few finches flying west, but only small numbers, and nothing like the large flocks seen a few weeks ago. Around the stables were Corn Buntings and stacks of Reed Buntings, plus a few Chaffinches etc but nothing to get relly stuck into.

Reed Bunting

I walked west along the coast to Coldharbour, enjoying the pleasant weather and very few people about, then returned along the embankment. There was a lovely Wheatear on the beach, and 3 parties of Bearded Tits in the reed beds. A couple of Stonechats were my first for a while, and a single Grey Wagtail flew west.

Blackbird bathing

Eventually I was back at the car at Shuart, so i stopped for a drink and snacks, then set off to Netherhale and Brooksend. Again, there were Goldcrests to be heard, and 2 Crossbills flew overhead at Netherhale, followed shortly after by another 9 birds. Not much else to note, apart from a few Chiffchaffs, but a really nice long walk, lasting over 5 hours.

With the darkness of winter setting in at the beginning and end of the days, there might not be many more autumn birding days left for me this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment