Tuesday 7 June 2011

An early walk at Reculver

I reached the Reculver towers at 5am this morning full of anticipation to find a rare bird, as the rest of the country seems to be turning up rarities.


Although I didn't catch up with anything special, it was lovely to have the seafront to myself for a few hours, and the first good bird i saw was a Little Owl, sitting on top of a telegraph pole along the lane by the caravan park. I managed a record shot before it flew and sat on a caravan roof.

There were a few Common and Sandwich Terns offshore, I could hear them long before they were visible in the dull light. I managed to see 5 Little Egrets around the oyster farm, and a male Marsh Harrier flew east across the marsh.

In addition to the usual waders and gulls there were a few Yellow Wagtails, Meadow Pipits, a pair of Stonechats and singing Reed and Sedge Warblers. All across the marsh were Swifts feeding quite low, and many Sand Martins.

I returned to the car by around 8am, but shortly before then a Hobby came crashing over the oyster farm scattering the Redshanks.

I took a quick trip to Chambers Wall to try and see the Willow Emerald Damselflies. Again, no luck, but there were stacks of Red Admirals, Small Tortoishelles and a Painted Lady. I also saw a little way off what was probably my first Meadow Brown of the year.

No comments:

Post a Comment