Sunday 12 June 2011

Chambers Wall June 11th

The Reculver area can be very much the same from one day to the next at this time of year, but it's always nice to be out in the fresh air. It was very cold this morning, I reached the fisherman's car park at just after 6am and took a liesurely stroll up to the railway embankment, on the way noting singing Cetti's, Blackcap, Whitethroat, Reed and Sedge Warblers, but a noteable absence of the purring song of the Turtle Dove, once common almost evrywhere in the countryside at this time of year.



I walked west along the railway to the green wall, the most excitement coming in the shape of a hare racing towards me. I'm sure if I hadn't been shuffling around trying to take it's photo it would have run right past me. As it was, it stopped about 20 feet away, then bolted off into the grass.

Not many birds to add, though a singing Lesser Whitethroat was nice. I also saw a pair of Cuckoos, including a 'hepatic' female bird, plus several pairs of Yellow Wagtails, swifts, swallows and martins, and a Sparrowhawk.

A surprise fly-over was a calling Siskin flying west along the railway.

The forecast was sunshine all day, but by 9 o'clock the skies were dark and it was still quite chilly. Very few damselfies seen today, and no dragonflies or butterflies to record.

No comments:

Post a Comment