Saturday 14 April 2012

Chilly Saturday

Saturday 14th April 2012
Dry, some cloud, cold N/E breeze 6 - 8 C

At last the weekend is here, so I was up at Reculver around 6.30am this morning. I chose Shuart for my morning walk, and wrapped up against the cold wind, set off north.

Walking past the farm I heard Fieldfares calling, and picked out 2 birds at the top a tall tree for a few minutes before they flew north.

Early activity was mostly counting Chiffchaffs and Blackcaps singing, a couple of Sedge Warblers were singing by the pools, and a Cetti's in the usual spot singing away. As the path opened out at the end of the hedges I spotted a distant harrier over by the riding stables, and with the bins I watched a ringtail Hen Harrier fly fast east, then cut inland through Brooksend. Also in the area were 2 or 3 Marsh Harriers.

I walked west along the embankment until reaching the Chambers Wall crossing, adding a few Swallows and Whitethroats to the list. At least 4 Kestrels could be seen hunting, and 2 Sparrowhawks were also seen. A Willow Warbler sand briefly near the car park.

I carried on my circular route along Potten Street Road back to Shuart, adding a few more to the numbers of warblers and Swallows, and an unusual sight of a Grey Heron sitting in the middle of a wheat field, but little else.


This afternoon I took a walk in Church Woods, hoping for a butterfly or two, but I failed to see any at all. I did hear a few Chiffs and Blackcaps, and loads of Willow Warblers, which were nice. Also a pair of Sparrowhawks displaying.


Whilst watching a warbler singing I heard a rustle of leaves beside me. I looked down and a grass snake was making it's way through the leaf-litter.

Later at home I was tidying up the garden when I disturbed a Slow Worm.

1 comment: