Sunday 19 February 2012

Waders in the sunshine

Sunday 19th February 2012
Cold N/W wind (F4), dry and bright sunshine.

In glorious sunshine I spent a couple of hours at Reculver towers this morning. I decided against walking in the cold wind, instead choosing a bit of a sea-watch. Wrapped up against the cold, I sheltered on the east side of the towers and set up the scope, with the camera ready to snap any passing gulls. I've decided it's about time I spent more time looking at gulls, and there's always a few hanging about at Reculver.

Soon I noticed a steady trickle of divers flying east. I counted 185 in the time I was looking, and all that were close enough to allow i.d were Red-throated Divers. A single Guillemot also flew east, and there were about 15-20 Great Crested Grebes knocking about. A mixed flock of Wigeon and Gadwall flew west, but otherwise there was little to see. I took a few gull photos, but they weren't great.

I then drove over to Minnis Bay, arriving as the tide was just starting to drop, exposing a few rocks and mud. The waders were very obliging, and I was surprised how many people (casual birders) wandered down to enjoy them, binoculars and cameras in hand, as well as a small number of Brent close inshore.


Apart from the odd dog-walker letting their dogs run along the beach scaring everything off, it was a relaxing time enjoyed by many.



Waders seen were: Oystercatcher, Turnstone, Ringed Plover, Grey Plover, Curlew, Bar-tailed Godwit, Redshank, Sanderling, Dunlin.

Gulls seen were only the common stuff: Great Black-backed, Lesser Black-backed, Herring, Common and Black-headed.

No comments:

Post a Comment